Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Nosedive rating

I give this society/utopia/dystopia 1 star. 

I enjoyed this episode of Black Mirror and while watching, I was trying to figure out why the title is "Nosedive". My first thought after watching it through was that it was titled as such due to the amount that this way of life might make someone want to nosedive off a cliff or something along those lines. 
This "life", if you could even call it that, seems like hell in my opinion. Its like Yelp meets Sims meets PsychoPass meets social networking hell. You get to rate people, and based on those ratings you either do well or do poorly in life. This seems like it would qualify as a form of cruel and unusual punishment. It seems to make it impossible to have a single bad day, ever. Or if you are having a bad day, I guess you should just not interact with anyone at all. But for some people that might lead to yet another bad day and without social interaction they may never stop having bad days. Anyway, I need to stop before I go off on a tangent, and I had another point I wanted to mention.
One thing I am extremely curious about is how this would work in other situations, such as college. Would your rating be treated the same as a GPA is treated now? Would people be turned away from certain schools due to low rating? Would people be sought after due to higher ratings? 
I was also wondering how this would work for relationships, jobs, different ages, parents to kids and vise versa, etc.
These were only some of my main thoughts surrounding this episode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment